Naaien

Birthday time here, in on week Millie turned 2 and Lucie turned 4.  I like to sew them special matching outfits on such occasions. Last year around this time I drew myself a dress pattern for Lucie, based on a supernice basic from Zara. It’s designed for knits only, and has a circular skirt, short round sleeves and a tight bodice.

I made her several of those throughout the year, mostly in heavier fabric like sweatr, punto di roma and french terry. And I had to redraw since the girl was growing fast. For their birthday, I fell for the supernice Lily Balou fabrics at Mon Depot. When they came in, I immediately thought of a polo shirt. Since I didn’t find a good pattern for a polo dress in knit fabric, I decided to add it to my existing selfdrawn dress.

Because of her red hair, I chose the blue plane fabric for Millie. And Lucie was charmed by the pelicans on the other fabric so that was a quick choice. I was shocked by the premium quality of this ‘knit jacquard’, which is medium heavy and lovely lovely lovely to work with.

dav

 

I had to draw another size for Millie, so now I have the pattern already in 3 sizes (98, 104, 110). What do you think? Should I do something with it? Who would be interested if I share this pattern?

Naaien

Copper and blue. I got inspired by the denim I found in my fabric stash with a subtle metallic shine. I used it for Lucie’s glitter pants with the cat knees, but I was jealous and wanted something for myself in that fabric, too… Since I never ever wear pants it had to be a denim skirt; a girl cannot have too much of those. And I already knew I wanted to combine it with a shirt with some copper piping to match the metallic shine.

I chose the Elsa Blouse pattern from La Maison Victor (2/2016) for the shirt; I loved the idea of a hidden button row. And it has a shirt collar, which makes it suitable for piping. But exactly at the button row something went wrong; I still don’t know what happened but I had excess fabric. Maybe I cut wrong, but anyway I could solve it invisibly … – well more or less. Also when you make it, you should choose the smaller size when doubting between sizes, because it turns out large.

The skirt’s pattern is another La Maison Victor’s creation (5/2016), the Holly Skirt. Great basic pattern for a denim or gabardine or jacquard skirt, I only lenghtened it with some extra 7 cm because I found it too short. You should only do that when your fabric has some strethc otherwise you would have to add a vent to still be able to move I guess. Also this pattern turned out to be large, but maybe I should have chosen size 40 (recently lost 15 kg so still getting used to the idea that I fit a size 40 🙂 ).

Voila, a new outfit is born. Curious for your experiences with these patterns!

 

DIY

Since we bought our house at the countryside (in the beautiful village of Houtem, Belgium), we have a super big garden and plenty of space for vegetables, fruit and animals. But I like keeping my herbs close to the kitchen and I want to be inspired by the sight of these delicious tastemakers while cooking, so decided to make planters for the terrace that is next to the kitchen.

I chose pallet wood because it fits nicely with the blue stone we have at the terrace. I started from the boxes we had delivered to carry the blue stone tiles. A handy size to start from, I actually just had to saw them in two, and add extra wooden beams. But you could perfectly imitate this with two pallets. You would then need 2 pallets: one for the front and the other cut in two for the sides. You don’t necessarily need a bottom; the root foil will ‘hang’ like a bag anyway.

I could place three of them next to each other, leaning against the outer wall. I strenghtened the frame at the back with some extra wooden beams. And then added the root foil, which lets the water go through. I fixed the edges of the foil to the wood with a stapler.

To mask the edges of the foil and to make the upper side look more attractive, I added a wooden frame at the top, cut in an angle of 45 degrees. Nailed everything and oiled the wood to protect it. It doesn’t look perfect but I like the rough look.

I filled it up with soil from the garden and potting soil. Potting soil alone is too light and dries too quickly. And then fill up with your favourite herbs and flowers!